Saturday, April 9, 2011

what to do with leftover zucchini?? Zucchini Bread!

Well, last post I made a zucchini galette and I had already made the zucchini pizza earlier in the week...so now, what was I to do with the leftover zucchini in my fridge?? I had two left and something needed to be done... I could think of nothing I would like more than Zucchini Bread.  I've been a little sick for a couple of days and so I thought this easy, hassle-free recipe would give me something to do for a 10 minute break from studying.  I knew I couldn't do anything too difficult because I wasn't feeling too hot but as my life has seemed to get more stressful...(hello, we are law students...most of you know what I mean!)...the more I have grown to become obsessed with cooking, baking, and stalking cooking blogs.
As you may remember, about a month ago, Juli gave me "Joy of Cooking" and I was utterly thrilled.  She ALSO gave me The New York Times Cookbook (published in 1981, originally published in 1961).  I made a delicious cod recipe out of it a couple of nights ago that I will share with you when I get a little bit more time.  This cookbook is a delight. While there are no pictures of the food, it breaks the recipes down in a very organized way and makes it easy to find what you are looking for (an index also helps with this).  This cookbook, along with the Joy of Cooking, has been described as a "Kitchen Bible" and these two are considered necessary staples in every kitchen...lucky me to acquire them both on the same day!
Zucchini shreds on top of batter before being mixed together

So, here is the simple Zucchini and Nut Bread, adapted slightly from The NYTimes Cookbook!

Eggs in the bowl waiting to be beaten!
Ingredients:
2 cups grated zucchini (NY Times suggested peeled but I chose not to peel them)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cups melted butter (other recipes use olive oil which is probably healthier but whatever I don't care...we don't have to be healthy all the time do we? ok good)
3 cups flour (I used 2 cups regular flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour because I ran out of regular)
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (my addition)
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnut chips (recipe called for 3/4 cup chopped walnut meats but I didn't have any)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grate zucchini in food processor and leave in there until use (watch video to see how a food processor quickly shreds zucchini...this machine will change your life!)
3. Beat eggs and sugar until pale yellow and thick.  Add in butter.
4. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix this in to the egg mixture.  Stir in the vanilla and walnuts.  Add in the zucchini.
5. Put mixture in buttered loaf pan (make sure the pan is buttered/greased, so you can get the bread out!).
6. Bake for 1 hour.
7. Enjoy!

I ate this bite...yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment